Wednesday 7 August 2013

Beggars



The Pinner news carried an article about the beggars a while back.  

I had the misfortune to see them close up a while back.

I told them that we did not want beggars in Pinner.

The man who seemed to be in charge of a sad looking lady in a wheelchair had the cheek to say "we don't want foreigners either".

If he was referring to me I am English and take offence to be called a foreigner. If he was not commenting about me, then he is a true racist!

I do not expect to see beggars in my home town. The Police do not seem to be able to do anything about this.

I was also approached a few months ago by a man who asked me directly for money.

DO NOT GIVE THESE PEOPLE ANY MONEY - THEY NEED TO GET THE MESSAGE THAT THEY ARE NOT WELCOME ON OUR STREETS.

One reference I have found is this

Although begging is illegal it does not carry a jail sentence under the Vagrancy Act 1824.
Many people begin to beg because they are not receiving benefits when they first start to sleep rough. There has long been a strong relationship between begging, substance misuse and poor physical and mental health.
Beggars have generally experienced a disruptive family background, substance abuse, exclusion from the labour market and institutionalisation and often have an acute lack of self-esteem. Many beggars have at some time found themselves victims of violence and harassment from the public.

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO READ THE VAGRANCY ACT HERE IS A LINK TO A PDF FILE TO DOWNLOAD

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home